Monday, December 27, 2010

London is BACK!

Day 13

This blog post was lost to the sands of time. So I am rewriting it.

Today I wake up early with Stephanie, Chloe, Victoria and Jordan to meet Anthony and George for their weekly trip to the borough market. And what a market! I have never tasted such exquisite food. Everywhere I look there are fresh cheeses and breads, fruits and vegetables I had never heard of, and cuisine that smells absolutely heavenly. Anthony takes us by the hand and explains to us what everything is, how to purchase fresh food, and some of the finer points of quality cuisine. After tasting everything and drooling for a couple of hours, I settle on green curry for lunch. This is a new experience for my taste buds, and they are not unpleased.

After the market, we part ways and a group of us head to Hyde Park, green haven of London. It is huge, so I have no idea where I actually am within the park, but I think I remember passing the Princess Diana Rose Garden. We find a nice grassy patch and just lay out in the sun for awhile. Shocking isn’t it? Sun in May? Apparently everyone else was equally surprised for half the city was out there to soak in those usually elusive rays. We spent a good hour or more relaxing in the grass and taking pictures before we decided to make our way back to Bloomsbury.



That evening, I make my way to the Duck and Dive for the Champions League match with Nick, Ryan, and Patrick. For a girl, I am a pretty big sports fan and my brother has taught me to appreciate real football. So we order some cider and watch the match. I also try to begin writing this blog post, but Patrick breaks my pen so that effort is futile.

As everyday in London, this one never ends. After the match, we meet up with the gang at The Rocket, our apparent pub of choice. It is on this day that I officially befriend Paul, the bouncer lovingly mentioned on Day 5. Paul is unfortunately a Florida Gator fan and played football for the University of Pennsylvania. Then he worked for the costume house that supplied the costumes for Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean. And now he is a bouncer at the Rocket. Good life. He is very nice and looks out for our whole crew. We Americans need all the help we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment