Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Ok. I'm sorry. I know that I owe a lot of you a ton of blog posts from London that never got posted. In my defense... this semester was incredibly intense, filled with internships, graduate research, web design, theatre rehearsals, and entertainment law. These are forces to be reckoned with, indeed.

However, that is no excuse for abandoning my fans. Speaking of fans, I am famous today. Check out the front cover of the Athens Banner-Herald. Oh yeah. Susana Maria Baker, in all her Christmas beauty! One day, you'll feel honored to have known me.

I suppose this is an update post of sorts. For those who have been woefully uninformed of my whereabouts, I got an apartment in August with 3 lovely roommates: Lindsay, Megan, and Corinne. We decorated it beautifully and do a decent job of keeping it clean and presentable. Our unofficial roommate, Jordan Shoemaker, frequently stops by and fills the apartment with her fabulous energy and cheer.

I was cast in the University Theatre production of Arabian Nights where I played many characters, including Sympathy the Learned and a Genie. We sold out every performance!!! You can view pictures from the production here: http://susanab.myweb.uga.edu/shows_thearabiannights.html

That page is part of the resume website I designed and built for my graduate web design course. Take a look around if you like. I had a lot of fun putting it together.

I was offered an internship at the box office of the University of Georgia Performing Arts Center. I trained in the state of the art ticketing system called Tessitura which was developed by the Metropolitan Opera. And after a full semester of interning there, I was offered a paying job for next semester! I am thrilled to actually have income. I love the people I work with and I really enjoy the job. Based on the internship I had in London and the internships I have had here, I have restructured my career interests to be a little more focused on the business of theatre and am looking into graduate programs in theatre arts administration.

Also, law school is now a back up plan. That is how my life functions....law school is my back up plan. Go figure. I really enjoyed the challenge offered by the Law of Public Communication course that I took and have developed an interest in first amendment and media law. If I could make it through the first two years of law school, the third year of specialization in entertainment law would be fascinating. We'll see.

Next semester I will also be interning with the professional theatre in Athens, Rose of Athens Theatre. My duties will increase in the fall as I take on a full internship with them. I hope to learn a lot from them during my time with them. I'll also be taking a graduate course on the role of video games in a user-generated society with one of my favorite professors, so I'm pretty excited about the challenges that is sure to offer. As for what else I'm taking...who knows! Nothing I need to graduate or even just want to take for fun is being offered. No big deal. I can't think about it or I'll stress out.

I bought myself a DSLR for Christmas!!!!! I got a Nikon D3000. Now I have to figure out how to use it... maybe if I get lucky I can sneak a spot in one of the photojournalism courses. Also, I am incredibly poor now.

Now for some fun things. I have developed some obsessions this year. And I would like to share them with you:

This is an unofficial biography video blog of Mary-Kate Olsen. There is a new 1 minute episode every Tuesday and Thursday and it is absolutely hilarious. Linsday made me watch them all at once when I was upset one day and now I am addicted. It totally worked as a pick me up. I blame her.

I am crazy about this new British band. They made the PASTE Magazine list of Top 20 New Bands of 2010. They are sort of folky, with lyrics that are hauntingly beautiful and powerful. I can't stop listening to them.

I may be the only person following this show. I don't watch tv normally, but I have started to religiously watch this. Every character is just that...a character. I haven't seen a show with characters this well written and lines so sharp in a long time. Hopefully it won't get cancelled soon. CBS Mondays at 9:30pm.

This blog is a hoot. This girl writes hilarious stories about her childhood and accompanies them with computer drawings that look like she does them in paint. A new post will inevitably brighten my day.

5. Dinosaurs
I love them. Especially the cartoony cute ones. Not the real scary ones.

So there is a basic year in review. I hope to update this more often in the hope that I can brighten your days with dialogue, tales, and pictures from my life...maybe slightly fabricated.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment